I tell my students that they have choices- they may choose to complete the activity with the rest of the class, or they may choose to complete the activity during choice time (free play). The choice is open to them- they usually choose to do it with the class.
I feel that the best way to get a student to work is to provide some sort of motivation. The student could work toward a reward such as a prize or an opportunity to use a special pencil.
If the child makes that choice, then s/he would lose any type of free time or fun activty/project the class was doing. This would hopefully encourage them to change the behavior. I would alos notify the parents.
If this is an ongoing problem, may be you could have an older student in the school act as a mentor.
One way to deal with a child who refuses to complete assigned work would be to provide extra support to that child and possibly provide a reward or something to work "towards."
I think the first steps sould be to talk with the parents. The parents should be notified of the problem. Then look for steps to solve why the students hates doing homework.
I present them with two choices. They may not particularly like either choice but one has to seem more appealing than the other. I also make sure I am willing to pursue this until they accept one of my choices so that they know I am serious about this. I do not let them make "do nothing" a choice. I also spell out the benefits and consequences and review those as I see them making a choice.
I think we need to find out the reason a child refuses-maybe they cannot complete the assignment with any type of success. If that is not the block, then, we have to show them that there are choices in life and consequences for their choices.
17 comments:
he/she can do it during play time since they chose not to do it during class time.
I tell my students that they have choices- they may choose to complete the activity with the rest of the class, or they may choose to complete the activity during choice time (free play). The choice is open to them- they usually choose to do it with the class.
Tap into his or her interests and try and base in/out of school assingments on his or her interests.
I tell them that they cannot refuse to do their work. It is their job. If they refuse their work they cannot have playtime.
If you do not do it now that is the choice you are making, later during a choice, I will have to make the choice for you to TAKE THE TEST
Try to find a way to engage them.
I feel that the best way to get a student to work is to provide some sort of motivation. The student could work toward a reward such as a prize or an opportunity to use a special pencil.
If the child makes that choice, then s/he would lose any type of free time or fun activty/project the class was doing. This would hopefully encourage them to change the behavior. I would alos notify the parents.
If this is an ongoing problem, may be you could have an older student in the school act as a mentor.
That is you choice, but later during a choice time activity I will make the choice for YOU: TAKE THE TEST
Give him or her the choice of doing it now or later, ie: during a fun time or free time.
If that doesn't work...call Andrea.
One way to deal with a child who refuses to complete assigned work would be to provide extra support to that child and possibly provide a reward or something to work "towards."
I think the first steps sould be to talk with the parents. The parents should be notified of the problem. Then look for steps to solve why the students hates doing homework.
That is your choice, I will have to make the choice for you later; TAKE THE TEST
I try to plan a fun activity and that child may not paticipate until the work is done.
this is fun. What's next?
I present them with two choices. They may not particularly like either choice but one has to seem more appealing than the other. I also make sure I am willing to pursue this until they accept one of my choices so that they know I am serious about this. I do not let them make "do nothing" a choice. I also spell out the benefits and consequences and review those as I see them making a choice.
I think we need to find out the reason a child refuses-maybe they cannot complete the assignment with any type of success. If that is not the block, then, we have to show them that there are choices in life and consequences for their choices.
Post a Comment